Story of Roseville
Captain Ezekiel Rose came from Virginia about 1804 and settled at Deavertown, but after prospecting around he decided that the present location of Roseville would be a good mill site. Accordingly he bought the land, from whom it is not known, and in 1812 laid out the Village which he called New Milford, in honor of his natal place in Pennsylvania, although another story has it that this name was given because of the fact that William Wonn built a mill by the ford at Moxahala Creek.
The plat consisted of 69 plots. There was one Main Street, one cross street called Dover Street on the west and Water Street on the East side of Main Street. There was also one North and South alley called Market Alley and two cross alleys. A survey of teh creek made in 1812 by Moses Nye of Zanesville is still in the possession of the Brummage family of Roseville. Incidentally the name Moxahala is apparently taken from the Shawnee tongue meaning Elk's Horn. A cursory survey of the headwaters of the creek lends credence to the tale. Also it is sometimes called Jonathan Creek, but according to certain historians, Jonathan lived in Madison township, Perry County.
Mr. Rose built the first house here in 1814, said to be on the James farm, although others report the location at the head of Main Street. The first lot was sold to Jeremiah Spurgeon the same year, and he also built a house.
On the site selected by Ezekiel Rose, William Wonn built a saw mill some time before 1820 and William Petty's distillery followed. In 1830 a post office was established with John Allen as the first postmaster. Postage was .25 cents a letter and was paid by the person receiving the letter. The first mail route connected Roseville with Athens and trips were made once a week on horseback. The name was changed from new Milford to Roseville at about this time. However, the beginning of Roseville was long before this.
The Pottery industry was one of a kind in Roseville. William Lenhart built a pottery on "Potter's Alley" in 1838, the first in Roseville proper. In 1866 there were 9 potteries listed as in or near Roseville, known as Bluebird Shops, all producing stoneware. There were numerous pottery industries and home based potters. Roseville still has 2 active potteries being Burley Clay and ACCCO.